Friday, September 24, 2010

Part 12 - Simplicity

I have been going to the bay for years.  All that time I would sit there and enjoy, but also be trying to figure out how to get in there.

I was awed by the beauty of the boats, I really wanted to be on them, it would drive me crazy.

I used to get out there a bit with a really small sailboat, about the smallest, cheapest one on the planet, a Snark.  Actually made of styrofoam the original model had bare styrofoam and they would not last long and chunks would be taken out of it.  Luckily I had the version with a nice plastic cover to keep it together.

Eventually I got out on the bay with a small rowboat and motor.  That still required going to the DMV getting registration for boat, trailer and trailer inspection, a hitch, electric connection, trailer maintenance, new light sets every year, new hubs, boat supplies, fuel, oil mixing, hoses, siphons, dual gas tanks, fuel storage and buying premium gas, lifting dirty, heavy motor on and off and flushing it each trip, and on and on.

After the old 2 cycle used outboard died, I was out for years, until I tossed one simple, cheap, used, foam board  in the car and into the water.  Done.  I kicked myself for not considering that over the way too many years.

Loved paddling on the bay for hundreds of yards enjoying it while conditioning.  Summer '09 to '10.

Then I was ready....

No comments:

Post a Comment