Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Before Hurricane Igor and Video

I've never been in waves that big.

Really nice weather this morning, summer clear, dry, north wind.  Great parking, brought camera this time.

Spent 20 minutes caught inside.  I was in thee wrong place to get out.  I also was spending too much time walking out instead of paddling.  I got hit and ducked every 5 seconds, I'm beat.

But outside was insane.  People were just chillin out there watching the swell.  It was like nothing I've ever seen.  If I didn't have as much experience as I just very recently got, I would have been scared out of my mind.  But after watching a lot of waves and being in many of them recently, I knew where to be and where was safe.  I have no idea how to measure them, but they were like houses going by.  I couldn't see any horizon in the trough, and then I could see all the way down to Lido and over the boardwalk at the peak.

I just looked at the buoy data but it's only once per hour so those crazy few swells weren't registered,I think, because they had to be bigger than 5 feet.  Then again, maybe from the trough to the peak is not part of that measurement.

I chilled there for a bit, got the sand out of the gloves, it was a blender and to have sand in the fingers of the web gloves is a lot of turbulence.  Floated on my back, drifted.

Did you ever get out there and be so blown away that you start talking to yourself because of being so awed?

I do, I smile, and swear a lot and sound stoked.

After 3 hours, it got really heavily clouded and overcast and even cool.  People were bundling up, I'm all sore anyway and beat and chilled for the first time this season, so I loaded up the car and took some more pictures.

As far as rides, those huge monsters that I went for were closeouts and you had to pick them really carefully for any face rather than all whitewater.  But on the way in, I caught so many foamies, it reinforced to me how powerful I found them when trying to get out past them earlier.  I played for a lot more on the inside near a smaller section where there was no lineup.  Really easy riding those surprisingly.  But still very hard to get back out at all.  I noticed later when I was taking pics, that everyone was having that problem.

Many surfers there today, I saw at least 50.  Great morning.
Clear Start
Lincoln still clear
Getting cloudy

And then the massive front passed us by and now it's hot again.  I'm sure it's nice down there again.  More tomorrow. :-)
Find the hidden message.  Hint: It's a rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment