Sunday, October 3, 2010

Conditions Good but It Didn't Help Me

Saturday, I was in the wrong place and/or wrong time.  I am still catching waves without realizing it and therefore, not bothering to stand.  I can't read the waves once I'm outside at LB and I don't know where I should be.  I need to make a plan and stick to it rather than unknowingly drifting with the current into the closeout area of the largest break.

So if I want to get up and stop belly riding, I'm going to have to start focusing on positioning for the few ridable breaks, of course, that's where the crowd is.  So now I realize how much nicer Tobay is since the sand bar breaks along a very wide area and they're easier to catch and there are no rock jetties to capture and control sand that also change conditions and group the lineup together.

Weekdays are also better with lighter crowds, even in October!
Unknown surfer at Long Beach, NY Saturday, October 2, 2010

The point, which I just Tweeted, is this, "Beginner fun is nice, but now I have to start to focus to actually improve."

No comments:

Post a Comment