Monday, August 30, 2010

Part 2 - I Got A Surfboard - Amazing How It Happened

I always wanted to try surfing.  I never knew anyone who did.  That sure is strange considering I grew up on Long Island.

So I'm at the beach one day and I wanted to get a KRock bumper sticker from the guy in the KRock van but I didn't want to give them my info so I tried to sneak one without getting a form.  It didn't work, they handed me a form to fill out first.  So I gave them my work number instead of my home info.  I got a sticker.  I forgot about it.

At work on Monday morning, they say I have a call from Jodi at KRock.  I won a surf board!  I never won anything, even when I gambled.  So I was shocked.  Luckily I was going to be in NYC on a service call later in the week so I swung around to 57th street and met them on the street (parking is impossible in the city) and tossed a surf board into my hatchback wagon.  It fit.  I was stoked.

I did have some experience with wave riding just prior to getting the board.  I got a really cheap boogie board and fins.  I did manage to catch one wave once and it took me flying.  What was weird was that I was riding the top part of the wave as it broke and barreled over under me and then there were two people in the water and I was heading straight for them but I was over their heads.

I banked and was able to turn away from hitting them. I never caught a wave after that on the boogie board, but it was really nice to be out deeper in the ocean with some flotation.  I loved being in the water and the sun and away from everyone.

The fins didn't last, they fell apart.  I still have the boogie board, it is the green one with yellow plastic running thru it.

Also got a KRock T-shirt.  Is this collectible?  There is no more KRock.


Thank you Jodi from KRock & KRock!

No comments:

Post a Comment